World Association for Political Economy
WAPE  No. 17
Call for Papers
The Crisis of Capitalism and Its Solution: Socialism of the 21st Century
May 29-30, 2010 at Suzhou City, China
Hosted by WAPE and by International College of Renmin University of China
- WAPE. The World Association for Political Economy, registered in Hong Kong, China, with Prof. Enfu Cheng, President of Academy of Marxism of Chinese Academy of Social Sciences as its Chair, is an international academic organization founded on an open, non-profit, and voluntary basis by Marxian economists and related groups around the world. The standing body of WAPE includes the council, secretariat, academic committee and advisory committee. The mission of WAPE is to utilize modern Marxian economics to analyze and study the world economy, reveal the law of development and its mechanism, and offer policies to promote economic and social progress on the national and global level, so as to improve the welfare of all the people in the world. The last four WAPE forums were successively held in Shanghai, Shimane (Japan), Beijing and Paris during 2006-2009.
The Fifth WAPE Forum, “The Crisis of Capitalism and its Solution: Socialism of the 21st Century”, will be hosted by WAPE and by International College of Renmin University of China on May 29-30, 2010 at Suzhou City, China. Please send your application and an abstract of 500 words before January 15, 2010. Send your paper of 6000 words on the above topic, together with your curriculum vitae stating your affiliation, contact information, list of publications, etc., before March 31, 2010, to Prof. Xiaoqin Ding, Deputy Secretary General of WAPE (email@example.com). Official invitations will be issued when submitted papers are reviewed and accepted.
- WRPE. The World Review of Political Economy, is a new peer-reviewed journal of Marxian Political Economy by WAPE. It will be published by Pluto Press of London. The first issue is scheduled for March, 2010. WRPE contributions will in four categories: 1) Articles (with an abstract), up to 10,000 words; 2) Book Reviews, up to 2000 words; 3) Academic Frontiers, such as conference report, coverage of scholarly exchanges, literature review, and commentary on recent research developments, up to 3000 words; 4) People, introducing the academic experience, thoughts, and achievements of distinguished Marxian economists, up to 5000 words. Contributions should be submitted to Prof. Xiaoqin Ding, Managing Editor of WRPE (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- WAPE Award. The Distinguished Achievement Award of World Political Economy of the 21st Century, established by WAPE, is an annual award that is granted annually starting from the year of 2009 and intended to promote research in modern political economy around the world by granting the award to economists of different countries in the world who have made important innovations in theory and methodology of political economy since the year of 2001. The 2010 WAPE Award will be granted on May 29, 2010 at the opening ceremony of the Fifth WAPE Forum.
More information can be found on the WAPE website at www.wrpe.org.
- Topics for the Fifth WAPE Forum
- Marxist crisis theory and the current financial and economic crisis.
- The relation between post-Keynesian and Marxist crisis theories.
- Explanations of the current crisis of capitalism: the roles of the financial and real sectors, and imbalances in the global economy.
- Analyses of the “financialization” of capitalism in recent decades.
- Responses of different countries to the current financial and economic crisis and possible new roles for the UN.
- Socialism as the solution to different crises: what form of socialism is needed in the 21st Century?
- How to realize global socialism and save the human civilization.
- The emerging new main contradictions of global capitalism between its global character of economy and its conservative political system.
- Trade unions and global labor solidarity in the globalization and information age.
- The awakening up of Latin America and its moving on the path of the 21st century socialism.
- The Soviet collapse and the ideological crisis of global capitalism.
- The achievements, problems, and perspectives of socialism.
- Socialism with Chinese characteristics and the movement of world socialism.
- Population, resources, ecology and environment.
- Climate change and green economy: contradictions of capitalist development and prospects for socialism.
- The new scientific paradigm of the 21st century socialism and its regional transition programs.
- The development and innovation of modern Marxian economics of the 21st century.
- Other related theoretical and practical issues.
- Reception on May 28, 2009.
- Official program on May 29 through May 30, 2009.
- Excursion to Expo 2010 Shanghai on May 31, 2009.
Registration fee is US$100. Payment can be made via cash on-site.
The WAPE Secretariat